Thursday, October 23, 2008

JJ-Teacher

Was there a teacher who had a great influence on you or motivated you to be a better pesron? Describe them and what they taught you.

I think that teachers are one of our greatest resources, and feel lucky that I have had a lot of great teachers in my life. I can't pinpoint just one teacher that has had the greatest influence on me but I am going to highlight a few of the great ones.

A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops. ~Henry Brooks Adams

Susan Heyborne- I love this women. I never actually had her as a teacher but she is one of those teachers that doesn't have to have you in her classroom to teach you. She took an interest in every one of the young adults at the Rock Springs Institute. Her husband was the bishop, then became the Stake President. She helped me with math question, life questions, and spiritual questions. She has a great sense of humor. My favorite memory of her is that I would always walk by her class on my way to the car and I would stand where only she could see me and then do a little jig. She would always get distracted and comment in the middle of her lecture. The first time I did it she started asking me what I was doing and to stop it without saying my name. She then realized her students had no idea what was going on. She then started talking how she wasn't crazy like John Nash in A Beautiful Mind. She kept saying "There really is a girl there! Really! There is someone there! I am not joking! Look" by which time I would leave without anyone seeing me. Good times.

Chuck- I have never liked math. I just don't think like that. I had Chuck Newberg for almost all of my college math classes, and he taught me so much. I actually failed what basically is remedial math because my original teacher sucked. I was so worried and felt stupid. Luckily Chuck actually taught me the principles of math and I never looked back. I never felt dumb asking him a question that ay have seemed stupid to others. He always took the time to answer my question so that I could understand it before moving on. He also has a great sense of humor and seemed to enjoy mine. I took a snowshewing class which I was not to excited about but I need credit. He made me enjoy being outside in the snow, though I wasn't skiing! He is an excellent teacher.

Bro. Nix abd Brother Lund, Bro. Tibbitts, Brother Packer-
I can't even imaging trying to teach the gospel to a bunch of punk teenagers and young adults. These Brothers did it well in every sense of the word. Everyone had a great grasp of the gospel. Bro. Nix had the best humor that he was able to use to teach gospel principals. Brother Packer had big responsibility of teaching young adults who were on their own and away from their parents testimonies and having to make the choice themselves. He was always coming up with ways to keep us involved in the gospel in the busy college years.

I also want to thank every young of my young womens advisors I have had over the years. After being an advisor my self I realize how much they sacrificed for us and how much they actually did care for us. They all taught me so much and kept me strong in my faith.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Emily! I laughed right out loud when reading about you dancing outside of Susan Heyborne's class! I remember sitting in her class while you did that!! You've always been such a goof :) Congrats on Himaya getting to the top 25...I've been voting for her! :)