Friday, January 23, 2009

You think that is Un-American? We'' "I'm Sorry!"

I use to think Tom Hanks was awesome. He could do no wrong. The truth is is that he is an amazing actor. Incredible actor. He deserves the acting accolades he has received. But he's a jerk. A pretty big one too. This is what he said a couple of days ago. "The truth is a lot of Mormons gave a lot of money to the church to make Prop-8 happen," Hanks told Foxnews.com in Los Angeles last Wednesday. "There are a lot of people who feel that is un-American, and I am one of them."

I thought the churches response was awesome. And cutting. And I hope he feels more than sorry because of what he said. "Expressing an opinion in a free and democratic society is as American as it gets."

Now with his tail between his legs, he issued a statement through his publicist (what Tom, couldn't face us "un-American" Mormons?) that said he was sorry. Last week, I labeled members of the Mormon church who supported California's Proposition 8 as "un-American." I believe Proposition 8 is counter to the promise of our Constitution; it is codified discrimination. But everyone has a right to vote their conscience – nothing could be more American. To say members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints who contributed to Proposition 8 are "un-American" creates more division when the time calls for respectful disagreement. No one should use "un- American" lightly or in haste. I did. I should not have.
Sincerely,
Tom Hanks.

I truely hope he is sorry. He shouldn't have said it. I know we all say things that we don't mean but this is getting RIDICULOUS! Two high ranking Mormons in the entertainment industry have already lost there job because of there position on Prop 8. How is that American Tom? I want to know. Please tell me. People are picketing the LDS church because of their involvement in Prop 8. I do not see them picketing ANY of the other THOUSANDS of churches and organizations that lended MILLIONS of dollars to Prop 8. How is that American Tom? I want to know. Please tell me. How come I can't have my opinion about marriage. The same opinion about marriage that has been around for thousands of years and millions of people past, present, and future believe? Tom, do you want to answer that? Please.

Please answer me Tom. First because that would mean you actually read my blog and that would be cool. But mostly because I want to regain my faith in you again. And not just you. I have always been a fan of movies and no matter what any of you actors, directors, ect. think, I do look up to you. Don't be suprized. You know it and you all have known it. Why do you think you wanted to be an actor. Can't I gain my trust in Hollywood again or is it gone?

Oh Tom...

4 comments:

Tara said...

Wow, that is low down! I'm mad, too, and I'm not even Mormon! I'll bet he had a million and one emails from all over the country, huh?

Krystle Ricks said...

I'm sorry. I laughed soooooo hard when you are building up to the critical moment and you say it would be cool if Tom Hanks read your blog! hahahaha! You're too funny! But I completely agree! It's sad that Hollywood is forcing America to lose their values... and it's sad that America is letting Hollywood brainwash us all!

Brooke Carroll said...

I think he is totally wrong for saying those things too! Celebrities need to butt out, they don't have any morals anyway! (hehehe) Just joking. I liked your blog though, you are funny. Hope you are doing great!

Bree said...

I'm amazed you had any trust in Hollywood to begin with....they're all NUTS! I couldn't care less what he or any of them think of Mormons. Since when have they ever upheld any high moral standards or been someone to model one's life after. Being able to cry on cue or memorize a script never has and never will qualify you to have a legitimate political opinion.

Having that said, I'm glad you are up and blogging again! I've missed your posts!