Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where were you that September morn?

Today is the 7th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.

I remember very clearly were I was that day. I had gotten up at 6am for an Institute meeting. It was just another normal Tuesday for me. After the meeting I went back to my dorm and went to sleep for a couple more hours until my first class. At the time I never listened to NPR but the night before I had been listening to some classical music and so when my alarm went off, it was on NPR. It was a reporter talking about the World Trade Center, which I had never heard of, the local elections that were going to be postponed and they were talking to Mayor Rudy Giuliani. They kept saying that they thought it was an accident. I was so confused. I had no idea what they were talking about. I laid in bed trying for 20 minutes trying to figure out what was going on. Finally I thought I had it figured out and I went out to talk to my roommates. We didn't have tv so we couldn't turn on the tv to get more information.

I remember being scared thinking that it could happen to us. I remember being so mad and so scared with every new report of the second plane, the Pentegon, the towers falling, the plane in Pennsylvania. I remember being so sad for those that lost their lives and for their family members. I remember how everyone banded together after and donated blood and did what they could to help those who had been affected by the attack.

I still can't believe it has actually been 7 years.




Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day

3 comments:

Tara said...

I was on a bus to school, (college), and we heard it on the driver's radio. We ran to the lobby when we got to school just in time to watch the 2nd plane hit live on TV. It was terrifying and I remember walking around campus all day with my heart in my stomach. Classes were canceled, but the teachers held discussion time for those who stayed. I didn't go home because I desperately needed to be with people. I can't believe it's been 7 years, either.

Konnie said...

LOL Actually, I was referring to a terrible, terrible, terrible vacation we all (Chris' whole fam) took to Ennis, Montana. I've only been to Texas twice, and both times were inside airport terminals.

Brooke Carroll said...

Hey woman, how the heck are you??? Your little baby is so cute! How do you like being a mommy?? Write me soon if you have the time, I'd love to hear from you!