Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What were we thinking?!!

WHAT WERE WE THINKING?

I am five weeks away from having my second child, and while I have moments of peace about this most of the time I am keep asking myself "How am I going to do this?! What were we thinking?!"

A year ago we thought we were ready, finally, to have another child. I was super excited. I just knew Little Miss would be a great big sister. I thought I could do it with two children. Branch is such a great dad already. Now? Well, I still know Little Miss is going to be a great big sister and Branch IS a great dad, but now I am thinking...I don't think I can do this....

Then...well you should have seen me when I saw the positive pregnancy test. I freaked out. I thought I was going to be excited, but instead I was curled on my bed thinking "oh.my.gosh.oh.my.gosh.oh.my.gosh!" Branch was such a support. His first text to me after I told him was I love you three! That made me feel better. He has been super supportive of me.

I know I am just freaking myself out. I know I can do this. I know I can. I will just have to take it one day at a time. Breathe. Ask for help. Pray a lot. Rely on Branch. I am good.

I have also been trying to enjoy every moment I have with Little Miss. I know our one-on-one time will drastically change once Little Man is here. I think I am doing ok with that. I have been "nesting" lately and she has been such a big help in that department. I am so lucky to have a daughter that loves to scrub the floors!

Did any of you mommies have these feelings before your 2nd child was born. How did you deal?

8 comments:

Becky Pearson said...

Ya, that will be a big change, but it's so exciting. I think once you see that little man you are just going to be so in love. Everything will fall into place. One day when I am freaking out about my second baby I'll let you know how it goes... :)

Christian, Kerri, & The Boys said...

Oh yes we all have moments like this!!

Julie L said...

Emily, everyone has moments. Hours. Days. Some even have months and years. But just one hour at a time, one day at a time, you manage. You're a wonderful Mommy. That is not going to change. And you'll be surprised at how big your daughter will suddenly seem. Just remember, she is not. She's still a baby, too, and needs lots of attention still. So you read to two instead of one. You play on the floor with two instead of one. You help the older one teach the younger one. And you get through it. And you love them and love them and love them, and then one day they're married with babies of your own and you realize what a blessing each and every one of them have been. That's the day it's all worth it, every second, every minute of it.

Seth and Julie said...

Emily, Since I didn't plan my second child (or any of them) I panicked during my pregnancy with Alex. I felt guilty for "replacing" my baby, and sad. BUT...I personally think the transition from one to two is BY FAR the easiest. You can totally do this...you are already doing it everyday with Little Miss. One more will be a breeze. You'll do great! Yes, the family dynamic changes forever, but not it a bad way.

Now, a third....that takes some getting used to, but even that is easy peasy once you adjust. Although...notice I stopped at three. Ha,Ha!

Chloe and Tyler said...

Definitely had these feelings...and I still do some days. Some days are awesome and others you feel very overwhelmed, but like you said...you take it one day at a time and ask for the Lord's help. You'll do awesome, I'm sure of it. On the days that are overwhelming, just blog about it, that's what I do:)

Kami said...

I remember feeling the same way! My husband and I had thought about trying to have a second baby earlier than when we did, We decided to wait and when we finally decided it was time I was really excited, but then of course I kept asking myself if we were ready. I remember thinking about our first son and thinking oh...my baby is no longer going to be my baby and time will have to be shared and just feeling a little blue, but I love our second son just as much. It's has been an adjustment a change, but oh so much for the better! Isn't being a mom wonderful. Keep me posted.

Tony and Ann said...

You'll do great, just like you have with M!

Krystle Ricks said...

Well luckily, babies come out really boring. They just sleep and pee for a good four months allowing you to calm the crazies inside and realize you are ACTUALLY doing it. And by the time you calm your anxiety you realize that having two kids is WAY more awesome than having one! And then the youngest turns about seventeen months old (hypothetically of course) and gets her (or his) own personality and you start wondering why in the heck you decided to have a third one!

But really... I LOVE LOVE LOVE having two more than one! I think you will too! But it does take a lot of adjusting.But you won't be the first mom to muddle through and figure it out:)